Re: [Groff] Groff editor.

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff editor.
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:20:54 -0400

Karee, Srinivas wrote:

I care about the font/bold/italics as this is a document which will be
sent to the customer and we cannot afford to send a plain text document
to customers. Today we are sending a formatted document with all bold
headings (multiple subsections), italic content and use different fonts.
I cannot convert it to plain-text.

Apologies for the late response...

Consider using grohtml (using groff -Thtml etc) to convert the file to HTML, then pass the HTML through tidy. Keep a copy of the tidy'ed HTML file and send a copy to your customer (or the person editing). When you receive the changed version, use diffmerge (or on MacOSX, use Filemerge.app) to see the differences. If there are only a few changes, it should be easy enough to apply them to your original groff file.

If there are a lot of changes, you can use XSLT to convert the HTML back to groff (some cleanup required).

-- Larry