Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:35:31 +0200

Am 22.08.2007 um 00:00 schrieb Gunnar Ritter:

Unfortunately, this depends on the font you are using.
With Times, the difference is rather small, but if you
change e.g. to Palatino, a comma is noticeably larger
than a quote.

Bad news:-(

but I think I'll stay with ,, '', it looks more german
than " ". (I have an aversion againt " because I see it
too often instead of reall quotation marks.)

How about using UTF-8 quotes, as in „German-style“?
UTF-8 supplies characters (not lookalikes) for all
kinds of quotes one can think about, and with the X
Window system, it is not difficult to get them onto
one's keyboard as well.

de.tmac contains
.mso latin1.tmac.

Changeing tha to .mso unicode.tmac seems pointless since
unicode.tmac is empty.

Entering UTF-8 characters isn't a problem, but groff doesn't seem to understand them.

utf-8 is only listed as an output encoding.

Did I miss something? Of course using real unicode is preferrable.

Axel