RE: [Groff] Groff editor.

From: Karee, Srinivas
Subject: RE: [Groff] Groff editor.
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:09:11 -0400

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Clarke Echols [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 11:54 AM
To: Karee, Srinivas
Cc: address@hidden

The short answer is "no".  The groff source file has all of the
embedded coding to tell the formatter what to do with the file
when it reads and interprets it.  Microsoft Word, for example,
gives the user a formatted display of the results from its own
internal coding.  If the user changes something, Word updates its
source file but the user never sees that.  That's what makes Word
so popular -- the user doesn't see the hard work.

It's also the problem with Word because the user has little
control over how Word does what the user thinks he or she wants
done.  If you want direct control, which I like, you have to know
how to instruct the formatter correctly.

Someone else could take the file and edit it using a plain-text
editor -- not Word or Word Perfect, for example -- and make
changes, **provided** they don't monkey around with the formatter
coding in the file.

When I work on books, I usually take possession of the source file
and from that point on, nobody else has access to the source unless
they know groff.  Not every organization is willing to do that.

Clarke