RE: [Groff] Generating RTF

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Generating RTF
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:22:03 +0100 (BST)

On 03-Aug-07 14:59:56, James Bailie wrote:
> Has anyone out there in Groffland had to produce RTF output, and
> what did you do to produce it?  I'm not looking forward to
> learning RTF and writing my own troff or PS to RTF filter.

It's not something I do myself, but in the past I had a go at
the program troffcvt:

  http://www.snake.net/software/troffcvt

which does a reasonable job with troff input files that are
not too complicated.

You can't hope for a complete translation, since the structure
of troff is different from that of RTF. In particular, a lot
of the work which troff does is done underground, and the sequence
of events does not lend itself to simple representation in RTF.

If you do try troffcvt, be prepared to do some work yourself.

In particular, if you have defined any personal macros, you
will probably have to write "action" files so that troffcvt
can handle them.

Hoping this helps!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>