RE: [Groff] Number registers

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Number registers
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 01:00:22 +0100 (BST)

On 02-Aug-07 23:44:21, andlabs wrote:

> Hello. I'm working with code that amends to ms' PP. The code uses a
> number register 1t - that is the number 1 followed by lowercase t.
> First, is such an identifier legal in groff?

Yes. You could even call it "1":

.nr 1 100
.LP
\n1

and you will see "100".

> Second, what happens if a register is not defined with .nr and used
> with \n(xx - would it be 0 or would it be an error?

It will have value 0 if it has not been defined.

Similarly, undefined strings are read as empty strings, and
undefined chars are treated as entities with no content:

\w\[novalue]XXXX\[novalue]

uses the (undefined) character \[novalue] as the delimiter
(i.e. where you would usually use "'" as in \w'XXXX').

Hoping this helps!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861