Re: [Groff] Number registers

From: Nick Stoughton
Subject: Re: [Groff] Number registers
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:51:47 -0700

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:44 -0700, andlabs wrote:
> Hello. I'm working with code that amends to ms' PP. The code uses a number
> register 1t - that is the number 1 followed by lowercase t. First, is such
> an identifier legal in groff? Second, what happens if a register is not
> defined with .nr and used with \n(xx - would it be 0 or would it be an
> error?

Yes and 0! It took all of about 15 seconds to test:

$ nroff << END
.nr a 1
.nr 1t 2
this is the value of a: \na and this is the value of b: \nb. Did you see
it?
and this is the value of 1t: \n[1t]
END

produces

this  is the value of a: 1 and this is the value of b: 0. Did you
see it?  and this is the value of 1t: 2
--
Nick