Re: [Groff] Gettin' the latest

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Gettin' the latest
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:36:41 +0100

Hi Miklos,

> As the last step I wanted the latest in groff (I need .devicem and
> updated me macros, if any).  Got a bit of info overload on the net
> until I found something simple  and tried it:

I don't understand why you emailed us an iamge of a web browser instead
of telling us the URL or pasting in the page's content?

(That page seems naive in its suggestion of `cvs update' by the way.)

> Well, I got a lot, but it is Version 1.19 (huh).

What makes you think this?

> Could you please tell me what is the latest: 1.19.2, 1.20 (I've seen
> hints),

I Googled for `gnu groff' and went to the top link.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/

That tells me the currently released versions are at

    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/groff/

which has 1.19.2.

> what's in the proper CVS (the thing above is behind the times).

http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/ also says

    (or checked out via CVS) [http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=groff]

and that gives exactly the same `cvs co' command as you used, so why do
you think it's out of date?  What's the most recent entry in
your checked-out groff/ChangeLog?  Here's the edits in CVS.

    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/groff/ChangeLog?root=groff&view=log

> Do I need the CVS at all for my wants?

That I don't know.  Someone here may.  Give us a clue as to your wants.
;-)

Cheers,

Ralph.