[Groff] Refer and Journals

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: [Groff] Refer and Journals
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:28:15 -0700

I am trying to cast references from refer into the format requested by a
particular journal.  My old Bell Labs documentation on refer does not
have much information on the topic, and sadly the man page is nearly
incomprehensible to me.  Is there a place where better documentation can
be found?

What I have to do is largely minor, such as changing the volume from
bold to italic, eliminating periodical titles, and moving the location
of the date in the citation string.  The most challenging one is to
change references with more than four authors to the names of the first
four, and then et. al.

This publication does not have many citations, so I could certainly type
them in manually, but this is a recurring issue.  I would appreciate
learning how to do it "right."  Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Frank