Re: [Groff] Vim/formatting question (WordPerfect files)

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] Vim/formatting question (WordPerfect files)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:46:11 -0400

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 03:04:21PM -0700, Nick Stoughton wrote:
> Try using tr ... The character '^@' is a null byte (for tr, this is
> '\000'). You can strip out all control chars by:

He asked about ~@, not address@hidden
The easiest way to find what it represents is saving it in another file
and running od -x on the file.

> tr -d '[:cntrl:]' < xxx.wpd > xxx.txt
>
> (or, in vim:   gg!Gtr -d '[:cntrl:]')
>
> This won't strip out chars with the top bit set, but read the man page!

As far as I understand he would like to replace them with a space rather
than just strip them.  Again, he can do this in Vim too:

        :%s/[[:cntrl:]]\+/ /g

This will replace any run of 1 or more control characters with one space.

Best regards,

        ZP