RE: [Groff] .MC -> .1C in ms macro

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] .MC -> .1C in ms macro
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:59:32 -0000 (GMT)

On 19-Feb-07 Ted Harding wrote:
> While I'm at it, I've lately been playing with a work-round
> for the often awkward feature of the ".MC" and ".1C" macros
> in the ms macros, that when you break out of MC back to 1C
> you also get a page-break.
>
> While the me macros allow you to go from 2 columns back to
> 1 column on the same page, you can only get 2 columns (not
> 3 or more) with me macros.
>
> Rather than re-write s.tmac, I've subverted the workings
> of .MC and .1C as illustrated below (to see the effect,
> typeset it in 10-point TR with 6in line length).

And I forgot to mention: while the example I posted previously
illustrates going back from 3 columns (with ".MC 1.7i") to
1 column (with ".1C"), you can switch to other numbers of columns
without the page break (e.g. from 3 to 2 with ".2C" instead
of ".1C").

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861