[Groff] gxditview question

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: [Groff] gxditview question
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:33:28 +0100

hi everybody,

I small point: I've noted that `gxditview' (the same holds for `xditview')
does not recognize any user input (keyboard or mouse) as long
as the mouse cursor is in the 'decoration frame' provided by the window manager or in the bottom line (where the page number is displayed) of the gxditview display.

for one, this seems in contrast to the behaviour of nearly everything else (except `xditview'). more important it gets in the way when you change focus to the `gxditview' window via the keyboard (at least with the `ion3' window manager (you like `vi' for editing? than you should try that one!) each focus change via the keyboard positions the mouse cursor into the title bar and one is forced to move it into the window to use `gxditview'. that somehow neutralizes the advantage of navigating the different windows via the keyboard.

obvious question: is someone smart enough (I'm not...) to see whether making `gxditview' behave in the usual way (allow navigation as soon as the window gets focus: `gv' and `xpdf', `xterm', `rxvt', for instance, do that) would be a trivial change to the source or difficult?

regards,

joerg

ps: I know there is no hard reason to use `gxditview', but mine is that, when editing/viewing larger documents which lots of included postscript images, the other viewers don't allow rapid navigation since they regularly get stunned by the image containing pages. viewing dit-files generated for the ps-device with `gxditview' is a workaround in that this at least shows the bounding boxes of the images (i.e. maintain page layout) and of course ignores them otherwise making quick navigation possible. and with `-res100' or so it's even readable...