[Groff] Eqn creates a challenge for Mike(tm) Smith

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [Groff] Eqn creates a challenge for Mike(tm) Smith
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:17:55 -0500

Mike, I realized this morning that the existence of a MathML backend
for eqn means you now need to write a stylesheet that transforms presentation
MathML to eqn and add it to the standard set.

Otherwise, we'll be in a repeat of the unhappy situation with TBL.  Man pages
will actually be preferred to DocBook as a composition format because you
can move losslessly in only the one direction.

Fortunately, an implementation shouldn't be very difficult.  Certainly it
will be easier than the TBL stylesheet for DocBook tables -- the models
you're translating between will be much closer together.

The hardest part will probably be implementing the MathML-entity-to-troff-
special mappings.  I can give you a table of those.