Re: [Groff] Coloured equations?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Coloured equations?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:58:57 +0100 (CET)

> > I'd like to have all eqn terms appear in a single colour.  gfont
> > chooses the eqn font, but there appears no easy way to have all
> > eqn terms appear in a specific colour.  Any suggestions?
>
> Well, it's kinda possible (see attached PDF), but it involves
> some terrible hackery.

Actually, your suggestion is very nice IMHO.  Something for the
Wiki...

> I guess it would be preferable to make eqn color-aware [...]

Patches welcome.

> [How did classical eqn save font and size, if classical troff didn't
> have \R?]

Why do you need \R?  It's `eqn' which interprets $foobar$ -- why can't it
be translated to

  .nr eqn-font \n[.f]
  .nr eqn-size \n[.s]
  foobar
  .ft \n[eqn-font]
  .ps \n[eqn-size]u

It can also check the whitespace before and after the inline equation
to insert `\c' where appropriate.

> [BTW, who the address@hidden defined "." to have chartype "punctuation",
> making decimal numbers like "1.0" come out with a little space after
> the decimal point?]

Perhaps compatibility reasons with traditional eqn?