Re: [Groff] ChangeLog entries

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] ChangeLog entries
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:52:05 +0100 (CET)

> It's not that I like to commit "as fast" as possible, it's that I
> like to do fine-grained commits with tests at each step, so that if
> I screw up I can always revert to a known-good state without losing
> much work.

Yeah, git-style, as I've said before...

> The approach I have breen taking was predicated on the assumption
> that the ChangeLog entries would be read in conjunction with the CVS
> history -- so the latter says "what" and the ChangeLog says "why" at
> a slightly higher level.

Uhm, no.  I've never seen it that way.

> While we're on the subject, though, I must say that I think
> traditional GNU-style Changelogs are obsolete and irritating.  It's
> a convention that made a lot of sense before use of VCSes became
> common, but nowadays my Changelog is normally my VCS commit-message
> trail.

Just do the opposite (this is, use the ChangeLog entry for the CVS
commit message), and everything's fine.

> I'll update Changelogs (including groff's) because it's good
> citizenship -- but I really think they ought to be terminated with a
> note that explains how to pull the VCS audit trail.

I'll continue the current style (which is quite similar to, say,
`gnulib' or `emacs') as long as I'm using CVS for groff.

With git or hg, I completely agree that a traditional ChangeLog file
is no longer useful.  However, in case you've downloaded a git
repository, you can check its complete history *offline* with `gitk'
or similar tools, something which you can't with CVS.  This is the
very reason why I insist on precise ChangeLog entries.