Re: [Groff] paragraphs and .TS/.TE in man macros

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] paragraphs and .TS/.TE in man macros
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:50:51 -0500

Michael(tm) Smith <address@hidden>:
> I don't know why it would have. If you test with the following, it
> should validate without any errors or warnings.
>
> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";>
> <article>
>   <title>foo</title>
>   <para/>
> </article>

And so does this:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";>
<article>
  <title>foo</title>
  <para></para>
</article>

I'm quite puzzled now.  I'll have to drop back to that series of versions
and see if I can reproduce the error.

In the meantime: Werner, my memories of what I've seen still say that
nobody uses adjacent .P/.LP/.PP tags as vertical spacers, but what I
thought was mechanical verification was not.