Re: [Groff] Correct protocol for making changes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Correct protocol for making changes
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:06:07 +0100 (CET)

> The above sounds like it should be added to a README or TESTING file
> in the tmac directory, if for no other reason than that the
> usefulness of -ww is not elsewhere documented that I have seen.  I
> think I'll make that happen.

Thanks.

> I have been applying the eyeball test to .SY/.OP/.YS conversions of
> chem.man, grog.man, and the roff2.man pages, [...]

I see that you are going to replace \[..] with \(.. -- do we really
need that?  (a) It makes the code more difficult to read.  (b) I
thought that we've agreed on staying with long macros/variables/glyph
names, and that we currently only `normalize' the man pages.

> At this point I think you can stop trying to rescue my old patches
> -- instead, I'll do a second pass at the hard cases using what I
> learned the first time around, changing them in small steps and
> testing each step.

OK.  However, we should come to a conclusion what we are really going
to achieve.

> It is rather remarkable how easy the -TMathmL implementation was --

Glad to hear that.

> While I will cheerfully admit to being pretty good at things that
> resemble compiler-writing, in this case no exceptional skill was
> required.  eqn and Presentation MathML have very different syntaxes,
> but their object-and-box models are as near identical as makes no
> difference.

Looking at the code, it seems to me (being a quite bad C++ programmer)
that the constant use of `if' clauses to select the output device is
not very elegant.  Perhaps this could be virtualized, at least to a
certain extent?  Maybe it's not worth the trouble...