Re: [Groff] On copying text from PDF files that started with groff

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] On copying text from PDF files that started with groff
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:51:07 +0100

Stephen Holland <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, with all that, is there an option to get groff to stop adjusting
> withing words?  For my needs, adjusting whitespace size is all that
> is needed.

.kern 0

> Or should all this be referred to a grops mailing list?

I consider this a bug in the part of the indexing program
that is responsible for converting PDF to text. In this
context it is interesting that Google has considerably
enhanced its PDF-to-HTML support during the last year
or so, and is now able to generate proper HTML even for
kerned text (including track kerning). This shows that
it is possible to extract text from PDF documents despite
kerning, and so I think that it is time for others to fix
their programs in this respect too.

        Gunnar