Re: [Groff] First round of cleabnup patches

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] First round of cleabnup patches
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:34:17 +0100 (CET)

> >   .if n \{\
> >   .  do ftr CR R
> >   .  do ftr CI I
> >   .  do ftr CB B
> >   .\}
> >   .
> >   .if '\(.T'dvi' \
> >   .  do ftr CB CW
>
> That's not the problem I see.  The problem I see is that this code
> wires in a set of assumptions about font mappings that won't
> necessarily be wanted by everyone who wants to use .SY/.OP/.YS.
> .SY/.OP/.YS are mechanism; this is policy.

Well, yes, but the fonts CR, CI, and CB don't occur at all in the
documentation of man pages!  The mappings are the only possible,
basically.  Most man authors who use fixed-width fonts have either
HTML or PS output in mind.  The above just assures that it renders OK
on other devices also (with groff).

Have you ever encountered a different policy w.r.t. font mapping for
TTY devices?

> I generally find it a good idea to keep mechanism separated from
> policy, if only because when I don't I get developers annoyed at me
> because they have tripped over policy choices they did not know they
> were importing along with the mechanism.

I think I can stand the torrent of indignation[1] which will occur due
to this mapping -- my safe bet is that noone will complain.

    Werner

[1] Maybe this is wrong English but it sounds more poetical than
    `storm of protest'. :-)