Re: [Groff] Why does backslash somtimes render as a yen symbol?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Why does backslash somtimes render as a yen symbol?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:41:52 +0900

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>, 2007-01-10 14:45 -0500:

> Why does backslash render as a yen symbol when I do M-x man 7 man?

Since nobody else has responded to this, and at the risk of
bringing some wrath down upon myself for telling you something you
already know...

I think the code point for backslash and yen symbol are the same
in (legacy) Japanese encodings. Or at least on Shift_JIS systems,
backslash /always/ shows up as yen symbol. Or maybe I don't know
what I'm talking about at all (I use ja_JP.UTF-8...)

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/