Re: [Groff] Choosing a portability target

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Choosing a portability target
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:55:20 -0500

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

The groff project -- and I'm not sure what that means, other than
"Werner Lemburg" -- is going to have to decide how much portability it
wants.  There's a sort of sliding scale of difficulty here.

Target 1: doclifter compatibility

Target 2: man2html compatibility

The patching I'm doing now will get us very close to this, possibly
all the way there. ...

Target 3: manServer compatibility

Target 4: troff-classic compatibility

Gunnar Ritter has just informed me that if we want these pages to render
under AIX, Solaris, and HP/UX troff, we need to stop using long names.
All macro names would have to drop back to two characters.  (We would

My two cents:

I don't think it's necessary to go to Target 4. If sites are using Elder Troff, they won't have the groff pages anyway. As for other projects, it's up to their writers whether they want to support Elder Troff.

I don't have an opinion either way on Target 3. Personally, I think Target 2 is adequate.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"