Re: [Groff] Progress report on the portability audit -- and what to do a

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Progress report on the portability audit -- and what to do about URLs?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:59:58 -0500

Gunnar Ritter <address@hidden>:
> > I believe you are incorrect.  If these definitions are *in the file*,
> > won't the Solarix/AIX/HP-UX toolchain evaluate them the same way
> > they would evaluate any other local macro?
>
> No, I was quoting ".URL and .MTO" which you cut away, and
> for rather obvious reason they will not.

Um...are we misunderstanding each other?

I have not removed any instances of .URL or .MTO.

Nor have I done anything which in any way will prevent HP-UX/Solaris/AIX
pages from including www.tmac and getting those definitions if they want to.

All I have done was removed an inclusion of www.tmac on some groff pages
and substituted local definitions of .URL and .MTO.  I did this because
www.tmac is hopelessly nonportable.

I fail to see how this causes you a problem.