Re: [Groff] Progress report on the portability audit -- and what to do a

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Progress report on the portability audit -- and what to do about URLs?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:24:39 -0500

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

.... Many groff pages use the www.tmac macros
.URL and .MTO.  This opens up a significant can of worms because the
www.tmac code is unsalvageable, full of constructions that cannot be
made viewer-portable.  Thus, any page using these will either break
some viewers entirely or at best display in a somewhat mangled form.

I would have caught this sooner, but doclifter just ignores the
www.tmac include and interprets .URL and MTO itself.  Therefore it
doesn't have a problem, and if I were only trying to solve doclifter's
issues I could declare victory and go home.

We have several possible paths to go from here:

(1) Rewrite www.tmac in portable code (no groff extensions).  This
could work because most third-party viewers do follow .so directives.

If possible, that would be best. As you said, it may not be a realistic
alternative -- especially if you include long request/macro names in
"no groff extensions."

(2) Add portable implementations of .URL and .MTO to an-old.tmac

That would be OK. I'd like to see at least the list constructs (OLS, ULS,
DLS) added as well. I don't think any of the current manpages use
them, but they should be encouraged.

(3) Restore the .UR and .UE macros that used to exist in
   at least in the Linux version of the man macros.  I can't find the
   documentation for these any more, but I remember reading it and
   support for it is in doclifter; what happened to this feature?

Never heard of them... are they used anywhere? I would argue
against it myself; we have URL and it's not going anywhere. :-)

(4) Rip out the MTO and URL macros entirely, and trust Web-aware viewers
   to pick out URLs and mail addresses by pattern recognition.  Some,
   including doclifter, already do this.

Urk. Sounds like a step backwards.

I need a quick decision about this, because it will affect the set of cleanup
patches I turn in.

Of the feasible choices, I would pick (2).

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"