Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:07:21 -0500

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

....  man(1) is not sacred, and I actually find attitudes like yours
kind of insulting, as though you think long-time man users like me are
so utterly lacking in mental flexibility as to be unable to cope with
even a tiny speedbump on the road to better things.

Heh, you should have heard some of the growls over the early drafts of my paper on writing effective manpages. My own tech writing experience suggests that there is a definite point beyond which most readers just get lost in a large manpage -- I like to point to bash (1) as an example. If a more complete document is available, say in / usr/share/doc/bash/, why not try to identify the things that readers look for most, put *those* things in a manpage, and refer them to the full documentation for the rest? (Got my paw smacked, I did!)

So they're out there, and likely to be vocal.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"