Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:52:38 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>, 2007-01-08 15:44 +0100:

[quoting me]
> > I have observed problems in some environments with display of lines
> > containing "\~" (which is why the DocBook manpages stylesheet
> > outputs "\<SP>" instead).
>
> Details, please.

Sorry, I don't have many. But for what it's worth, I think the
problems I ran into were on machines that didn't actually have
groff installed. HP-UX and Tru64 and AIX machines that tested on
when I was testing the character conversion part of the stylesheet.

> > [...] text is adjusted only to the left margin (because IMHO it's
> > easier to read in console output than text adjusted to both margins
> > and hyphenated).
>
> This is really a matter of taste.  BTW, avoiding any hyphenation with
> ragged-right output looks really bad since the line lengths can differ
> too much.

I agree about it being a matter of taste. I personally don't think
the variation in line length in unhyphenated man pages looks very
bad at all. (Most of us use mail clients that don't add
hyphenation, but I don't see a lot of people complaining that it
looks really bad).

  --Mike