[Groff] Re: New PS font definition files

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: New PS font definition files
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:37:14 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Delta, Omega, mu are to be mapped to greek letters or to symbols
(in not-symbol fonts)?
I favour `*D', `*W', and `*m' to be symbols, using `u03XX' for
glyphs intended to write Greek.
After rereading my answer I think that it is highly ambiguous.  I mean
that `*D', `*W', and `*m' should map to symbols, not to Greek letters
-- always.  Real Greek letters in text fonts should use `u03XX'.

It seems that you've understood exactly the opposite.  Sorry.

Let us go thru some examples before we finally give up any attempts
to understand each other.

Symbol fonts now have a line like
*D      ???,??? ?       ???     Delta
- I do not propose to change this.

 For text fonts now we get
u2206   ???,??? ?       ???     Delta
 while I propose
u0394   ???,??? ?       ???     Delta
or u0394 ???,??? ? ??? Delta
u2206   "

Do you oppose this change?

To achive the change one can add to textmap (instead of patching afmtodit)
Delta u0394
Omega u03A9
mu u03BC
Delta u2206
Omega u2126
mu u00B5

        Sincerely, Michail

PS. 2206 is INCREMENT, while 0394  is GREEK CAPITAL LETTER DELTA.