Re: [Groff] Projects using DocBook source for man pages

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: Re: [Groff] Projects using DocBook source for man pages
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:28:19 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 04.01.2007, 17:58 +0900 schrieb Michael(tm) Smith:
> Related to some current discussions on the list, I wanted to
> mention a few projects I'm aware of that have authored their
> man-page documentation in DocBook and used the DocBook Project
> XSLT stylesheets to generate man-page output from them.
>
>   apt* utils (apt-get, apt-cache, aptitude, etc.)
>   bind9 (dig, host, nslookup, named, etc.)
>   shadow (passwd, su, useradd, userdel, etc.)
>   udev
>   clisp
>   patchutils
>   libxml/libxslt utils (xsltproc, xmllint, xmlcatalog)
>   elinks
>   dia
>   libgtk2.0 (gtk-query-immodules, gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders)
>   openswan
>   nmap

just to add my own: fglrx_man (very large manpages, using several
DocBook elements - I think, only a DocBook table is missing, but
segmentedlist render to tbl)

> So if you want to see what current man-page output generated from
> the DocBook manpages stylesheet, and you have up-to-date packages
> of the apt* utils, or bind9, shadow utils, or udev, the man pages
> for those are probably good places to look.

I also added an example based on the large example [1] from the Man page
howto to the Debian docbook-xsl package. Process it with a recent
docbook-xsl and check the output.

[1]
http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/packages/docbook-xsl/debian/examples/foo.1.example_manpage.xml?rev=1.1;cvsroot=debian-xml-sgml

Regards, Daniel