Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:07:51 -0500

Ted Harding <address@hidden>:
> Intervening to publicise a relevant but possibly collateral piece.
> It is certainly very relevant to the present discussion, but
> probably it does not of itself take it forward. Nevertheless, for
> those who do not already know it (as I did not until I happened
> upon it by chance this morning) it is a very interesting and
> informative piece of work, and sets a good perespective.

They cheated!  Er, I mean, they looked at the upstream source with the
man/ms/me markup in it.  You have to, really.  The paper is quite
eloquent about the amount of structural information that is lost
in the ditroff output.

Nice mention of doclifter there but out of date.  I now handle over 96% of
the FC6 pages, which is 1% more of a much larger universe.