[Groff] Multiple description lines in DocBook [was: ESR in manpages vers

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: [Groff] Multiple description lines in DocBook [was: ESR in manpages versus the WEB]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:06:11 +0900

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>, 2007-01-01 12:25 -0500:

> M Bianchi <address@hidden>:
> > But that form is _so_ much easier to read and understand, especially for the
> > novice!  That, to my mind, is the overriding goal of the exercise.
>
> I agree.  Unfortunately, I can't fix this.  If the DocBook DTD were to loosen
> so this were allowed, I would support it in a heartbeat.

I guess maybe you should be using the latest DocBook DTD for
validation :)

I'm not sure what version you're using now. Maybe DocBook 4.2 or
maybe 4.1.2. Anyway, there have been a good number of changes
since 4.2 was released (more than 3 years ago). While I can't off
the top of my head think of any other changes that might directly
affect doclifter (other than the "allow multiple Refnamediv in
Refentry" change I mentioned in my earlier message), there may be
some others.

If the DocBook DTD packager for a distro you're testing on hasn't
yet packaged 4.3 (which was released well over 2 years ago),
that's pretty bad (they should actually be packaging 4.4 or 4.5).

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://www.w3.org/People/Smith/