Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 04:22:26 +0900

M Bianchi <address@hidden>, 2006-12-23 08:26 -0500:

> I encourage the  flat text  format because sometimes things like X fail and
> you
> want access to the documents without requiring the fancy programs work and a
> flat-file editor is all you have.
>
>  +-------------+                                     +--------------------+
>  |  man pages  |-----+                          +--->|  HTML on browsers  |
>  +-------------+     |                         /     +--------------------+
>                      |                        /
>  +-------------+     |        +-------------+/       +===========+
>  |  Texinfo    |-----+------->| XML-DocBook |=======>| flat text |

I think Eric pointed this out earlier, but anyway, you can get
flat text just by piping HTML output through "lynx -dump" (or
-dump through elinks or w3m). And that preserves any table layout
(I think lynx handles tables now -- if not, elinks and w3m do) and
URLs for hyperlinks.gg

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith