Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 03:59:42 +0900

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>, 2007-01-03 11:28 -0500:

> Michael(tm) Smith <address@hidden>:
> > The open-source XSL-FO engine project that truly deserves some
> > more help is Tony Graham's xmlroff:
> >
> >   http://www.xmlroff.org/
>
> Why do you believe this has a future and FOP doesn't?

I don't believe it's necessarily the future. I would just like to
see it be. Partly because I know Tony and know that he's put a lot
of work into it and that it's a very good design that could be
built on to create a great application. I think it also plays
better with other free software and with the open-source
developement community in that its written in C (not in Java).

As far as FOP, it's been in development for something like 6 years
or more now and still falls far short of being able to produce
reasonable output for many documents. I don't expect it to
progress dramatically in the next year unless some more life (and
money) are breathed into it.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith