Re: [Groff] ESR in manpages versus the WEB

From: mhobgood
Subject: Re: [Groff] ESR in manpages versus the WEB
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:46:49 -0600

On Dec 30, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Gunnar Ritter wrote:

mhobgood <address@hidden> wrote:

 It's the 21st century, all the documentation on my system ought to
present as a hypertexted local Web through my browser.

Subject two.  That is your personal preference.  Myself, I'm quite
happy to use other forms for documentation; forms that do not invoke
my browser at all.

The real argument for DocBook is that such a document can
be converted to any presentation format with relative ease,
regardless of personal preferences. Thus if you say that
Eric prefers a web browser but others might prefer other
viewers, you should rather argue for doclifter, not against
it.

I'm not against it.

Besides, it is completely clear that Eric is not the only
one who wants this. Desktop environments have tried to offer
similar services since years. You have simply misunderstood
the personalized formulation of Eric's argument.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

But,
if a manpage does elaborate, bizarre things, it is your program that
must cope.

You are the first person I have met so far who thinks
so. All guides to manual page writing I have read also
disagree with you.

Maybe you could just rethink your opinion?

No. It is the job of a translator program to cope with the source. If a source language needs changed to allow a translator to work, the translator must be fixed. Note, this doesn't preclude a translator working with only a
subset of a language.

Ultimately, your argumentation is just a demonstration of
your lack of knowledge about markup language concepts. You
have asked us to "explain what XSL and FO are" a week ago;
perhaps you might consider to familiarize yourself with the
subject in more depth now before you continue to discuss in
that style?

        Gunnar

XSL and FO. Ah yes, I had forgotten about them. I'm familar with the W3C material, enough to understand most of it. As to my knowledge level of markup languages, it is sufficient to allow me to write programs to accomplish tasks that I set forth. Perhaps not good enough to release any general purpose tools, but then again, doing
that is not something I'm interested in.

As to familiarizing myself more indepth about the subject before I continue to discuss in this style, no. My knowledge is deep enough. Seldom do I offer
opinions, a trait I plan on continuing.

Cordially,
Michael D. Hobgood