[Groff] Mom/Mac OSX strangeness

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] Mom/Mac OSX strangeness
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:30:20 -0500

In the 1.5 version of the mom macros, I added some definitions to
facilitate the drawing of common graphical objects (rules, boxes,
ellipses).  All of them use the \D escape.

The macros work fine with groff 1.19.2 (from the repository) on
boxes running GNU/Linux.

Recently, a user wrote me saying the macros *don't* work on his Mac
box (OSX) with groff 1.19.1.  He's able to use \D escapes to draw
graphical objects, but the mom macros using those same escapes
don't render the objects at all.

I'm not in a position to help the user since I don't have access to
a Mac box for testing and debugging.  I'm wondering if anyone can
suggest a reason why the user is experiencing this problem under
OSX on Mac.  Something to do with the way groff 1.19.1 is built for
OSX?  Differences between 1.19.1 and 1.19.2?  (The user has
mentioned the .DBX macro--for boxes--several times, so maybe
someone with an eagle eye can have a look at that macro in
particular.  The definition starts at line 3055 of the most recent
version of mom in the repository.)

--
Peter Schaffter