Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:19:22 -0500

Zvezdan Petkovic <address@hidden>:
> If -mdoc was refused for the above reason, how accepted DocBook will be?

I'm not sure how much that matters.  Nothing stops you from composing
in asciidoc or whatever; the whole conversion from composition format
to DocBook could take place out of your sight.

This is why I'm emphasizing the difference between composition format
and transfer format.  As it happens, I don't mind composing in DocBook
itself.  But I don't assume everyone will share that taste -- nor do I
need to.  My goal is not to get everyone composing in DocBook, it's
to deliver all documentation through a browser as a crosslinked and
searchable part of the Web.  DocBook is a means to that end, not
an end in itself.

> Of course, DocBook has many more advantages over -mdoc than Java over
> Ada, so comparison is probably not fair.

No, it isn't, but I think DocBook can win the argument even if we grant
your parallel.