Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:43:10 -0500

Clarke Echols <address@hidden>:
> .TP 3  \" set bullet offset
> \(bu   \" or other character such as dash or square

I'm pretty sure doclifter will turn this into a DocBook bulleted list,
but I don't have any examples handy to test it on.

> Until this discussion, I had never see .EX/.EE and .DS/.DE.  I use
> Cygwin on my Win98 machine but I don't see a man page defining the
> macros anywhere in the manpages, so I have no clue what they do.
> I tend to resist the addition of other macros when existing macros
> cover the subject and keep it simple.

.DS/.DE -- display formatting for running text
.EX/.EE -- format an example with indent and CW font.

The trouble is that existing man macros don't actually cover these cases;
you end up writing cliches with .nf/.fi and .RS/.RE to handle them.