Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 07:49:40 +0100 (CET)

> Yes, normally I would be a stickler for backwards-compatibility to
> legacy Unixes.  However, I feel that in the particular case of
> .EX/.EE and .DS/.DE there are several factors which, taken together,
> would make the slight degree of breakage involved an acceptable
> trade-off.  [...]

To summarize:

  . .EX/.EE and .DS/.DE should be added to the man macros.

  . .SY and .OP together with .TQ (as the `standard' extension to .TP)
    should be used within man pages, but its definitions should be
    copied to the limbo of each man page since we can't assume that
    those macros are present in any other man implementation.

What else?

BTW, I don't mind to recommend that .EX/.EE and .DS/.DE are defined in
the limbo also; processing time and size constraints in man pages for
those few macros can be really neglected IMHO.