Re: <OK> Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: <OK> Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:39:45 -0500

M Bianchi <address@hidden>:
> Since DocBook deduces _meaning_ from the presentation markup

DocBook does nothing of the sort.  It's doclifter that does that.

>                                       then I will claim
> that the correct path needs to be something like ...
>       groff -man  ->  DocBook  +->  HTML
>                                +->  groff -man_extended
>
> where new meaning markup is inserted back into the source document form
> (assuming that  foo.man_extended  becomes the prefered edited file).

I think there would be very little point in this.

groff markup is presentation-level.  It's good at that.  If you try to
turn it into a structural markup, I predict you will get exactly the
results Bernd Warken already has -- you'll break non-groff viewers
without producing anything that's adequate as a structural
description.