Re: [Groff] Modifying hyphenation rules?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Modifying hyphenation rules?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:01:09 +0000

Werner Lemberg wrote:
> > Using .hw works OK, but like I said, there are hundreds of these
> > suckers. Is there any way to tell Groff that hyphenating at any
> > '[a-z][A-Z]' junction is OK?
>
> No.  The easiest thing is probably to use sed or awk in a
> preprocessing step to insert `\%' at the appropriate places
> automatically.  Since uppercase almost always indicate a possible
> breakpoint (you aren't writing Gaelic, aren't you? :-) this should be
> rather straightforward.

Wow!  Werner's linguistic skills, and knowledge, continue to amaze!

Presumably here the reference is to the aspirated genitive form of a
capitalised noun, as in `Uiscebhealaí Intíre na hÉireann', (Inland Waterways
of Ireland), where we clearly see a lower case letter immediately followed by
a capital, where hyphenation would not be appropriate.  But, even in English,
we see a similar construct; it appears in the anglicisation of Gaelic
surnames, particularly Irish Gaelic surnames.  For example, I'm told that my
own Gaelic surname would be `mac Donald', (Son of Donald), which is commonly
anglicised to McDonald.

Regards,
Keith.