[Groff] Re: pic crashes if macro has more than nine arguments

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: pic crashes if macro has more than nine arguments
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:15:17 +0100 (CET)

> I investigated and found that GNU pic crashes if I invoke a macro
> with more than nine arguments: [...]

This is now fixed in the CVS.  I've added code to support up to 32
macro arguments (up to 16 on EBCDIC platforms).

To make it really generic, this is, to support an arbitrary number of
arguments (as should be done for GNU programs), requires much greater
changes for which I don't have enough time to work on.  Volunteers
welcome!

> I have a very old GNU pic on another machine (version 1.09), so I
> tried the "text in the box" example on it.  That one doesn't crash,
> but I get no text in the box, so I'm not sure what it thinks it's
> doing with $10.  It's running on another operating system, so this
> may be another manifestation of the same bug.  Maybe the bug is very
> old.

I believe that the bug has been there since the very beginning.

Please test!