Re: [Groff] groffer and pdf

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] groffer and pdf
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:02:52 +0000

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 14:20, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > I'd avoid using symlinks; they aren't portable.
>
> Well, autoconf provides the AC_PROG_LN_S macro:
>
>     If `ln -s' works on the current file system (the operating system
>     and file system support symbolic links), set the output variable
>     `LN_S' to `ln -s'; otherwise, if `ln' works, set `LN_S' to `ln',
>     and otherwise set it to `cp -p'.

Yes, this is the smart avoidance strategy, for it avoids them when necessary,
but uses them when possible.

The caveat still stands, however, since the onus remains on the developer to
ensure that a Makefile macro derived from autoconf's `LN_S' output variable
is used in place of the `ln -s' command, in *every* rule which could result
in the creation of a symbolic link.

It is also imperative to ensure that no symbolic links are inherently embedded
in any distribution tarball, but this is already addressed by the use of the
`ch' tar flags, in groff's `make dist' rule.

Regards,
Keith.