Re: [Groff] Re: Formatting braille

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Formatting braille
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:10:12 +0100 (CET)

> My guess is that the braille formatting rules are different in
> different languages; I only know American English braille.  Here's a
> link to our formatting rules.  Rule 4: Headings and Rules 7-19 are
> all relevant to my question.  http://www.brl.org/formats/

These are indeed quite complex but very concise.

> The first computer-based braille translating applications became
> available in 1965 and yet the formatting part still isn't fully
> automated.

What do you mean with `fully automated'?  I think it's possible to add
(logical) markup to a text so that it can be printed both in Braille
and as a normal book (or HTML) without further interaction.  However,
this markup must be added by someone.  Is this sufficient for your
purposes?  Of course, there might be situations where logical markup
isn't sufficient.  However, it should be straightforward to
encapsulate such format specific markup directly within the source so
that it isn't necessary to maintain a separate version just for
Braille (or vice versa).