Re: [Groff] RTF

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] RTF
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:22:45 -0400

Juan M. Mendez wrote:

Due to the work, I was looking for a way to automate the creation of
documents for the Word (or Weird) text processor .

Using the latest versions of groff, you can produce HTML that can be cleaned up enough to import directly into Word. I've done it before, with acceptable results.

Unfortunately, it's not automatic. There are some things you can do up front that produce cleaner HTML on the back-end -- use -mwww and tweak some of the internal variables, write a couple of macros -- and these can make things like lists easier to work with anyway. After generating your HTML, you can pass it through an awk and/or sed script (I use both) to clean things up a little more.

Usually, this will produce good enough HTML that Weird will load it and (mostly) do the right things with it, insofar as Weird can be said to *ever* do the right things. :-P You might want to pass the markup through Tidy first; sometimes it helps.

Another possibility is to create a PDF (plain or using -mpdfmark) and use a program like PDF2Office to do the conversion. Unfortunately, those programs are commercial (PDF2Office is $99) and run only under OSX or 'Doze... which isn't such a limitation, seeing that you need one or the other to run Weird anyway.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"