Re: [Groff] empty line before .TH in man page produces sometimesanempty

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] empty line before .TH in man page produces sometimesanempty page
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:16:39 -0400

> ABSOLUTELY NO LINES, other than genuine troff/groff comment lines
> should appear in a man page file before the .TH line.

My first thought upon reading Bernd's report was "put an .ig XX at the end of
tmac.man, and turn it off in .TH" but that would break the zillions of
manpages out there that define their own macros at the beginning of the file.

I'm with Keith; the bug is in the bash manpage, not in the macros.

> In a source-code (SCCS) or revision (RCS) control environment, the
> first line in the file starts with .\" $Header:  [I think -- it's
> been many years since I did this stuff back in 1989-1992].  The
> RCS or SCCS software then fills in the line with date, revision
> version number, etc., but by making it a comment, it keeps the
> revision information invisible to troff/groff.

The ignore block works here too, which can be handy if you want to include
some other notes to a future maintainer.

-- Larry