Re: [Groff] List delivery disabled

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] List delivery disabled
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:31:49 +0200 (CEST)

> I've found my list delivery disabled again at
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/options/groff
>
> It is due to excessive bounces (5 rejects) and this happened to me
> many times before.
>
> Spamcop says that lists.gnu.org is currently blacklisted but, if no
> other complaint is coming-in, it will be de-listed in 23 hours.  In
> the past 94 days we've been blacklisted 23 times for a total of 27
> days.

Sigh.  I've now increased the bounce score from 5.0 to 10.0 -- hope
this helps.  See below for some explanation.

When a bounce is received, Mailman tries to extract two pieces of
information from the message: the address of the member the message
was intended for, and the severity of the problem causing the bounce.
The severity can be either hard or soft meaning either a fatal error
occurred, or a transient error occurred.  When in doubt, a hard
severity is used.

If no member address can be extracted from the bounce, then the bounce
is usually discarded.  Otherwise, each member is assigned a bounce
score and every time we encounter a bounce from this member we
increment the score.  Hard bounces increment by 1 while soft bounces
increment by 0.5.  We only increment the bounce score once per day, so
even if we receive ten hard bounces from a member per day, their score
will increase by only 1 for that day.

When a member's bounce score is greater than the bounce score
threshold, the subscription is disabled.  Once disabled, the member
will not receive any postings from the list until their membership is
explicitly re-enabled (either by the list administrator or the user).
However, they will receive occasional reminders that their membership
has been disabled, and these reminders will include information about
how to re-enable their membership.

You can control both the number of reminders the member will receive
and the frequency with which these reminders are sent.

There is one other important configuration variable; after a certain
period of time -- during which no bounces from the member are received
-- the bounce information is considered stale and discarded.  Thus by
adjusting this value, and the score threshold, you can control how
quickly bouncing members are disabled.  You should tune both of these
to the frequency and traffic volume of your list.