Re: [Groff] help required regarding groff/psroff

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] help required regarding groff/psroff
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:16:19 -0400

hi, myself Himanshu.... i have a project in whcih i need to get the width
tables from HP laserjet fonts....ie fonts which are stored inside the
laserjet......
i have windows as operating system and hp 4250 laser printer....i have downloaded gsroff and psroff 3.0 .... was not able to install Psroff as
it contains ".Z" files.... :(

Hello Himanshu,

I don't think you need psroff to do your printing. There are three ways you can print to a LaserJet:

1) Use '-Tlj4' in your command line (like 'groff -ms -Tlj4 myfile.t | lpr). This method uses the native LaserJet language and fonts and is fastest. The width tables are already made for the most common HP fonts. :-)

2) Print to a PostScript file, and use GhostScript to convert it to LaserJet format (like 'groff -ms myfile.t | gswin32c -sDEVICE=ljet4 - | lpr'). This method is slower, but is more general.

3) Print to a PostScript file, convert to PDF, and use Acrobat Reader to send it to the printer (like 'groff -ms myfile.t > out.ps; ps2pdf out.ps out.pdf'). This is slowest of all, but lets you check the output for pagination and other errors before using up paper. I use this method on MacOSX, since my work requires PDF output anyway.

Hope that helps....

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"