[Groff] Other PS fonts for groff not in Cygwin distribution?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] Other PS fonts for groff not in Cygwin distribution?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:47:06 -0600

I run Cygwin on Windows 98. The groff package comes with Times Roman
New Century Schoolbook and a few others.  A web page from an old
Linux Journal mentions a Computer Modern collection of fonts from
Blue Sky Research that are "freely available".  I don't know if that
means "readily" available or available at no charge.

I am typesetting a series of novels for a friend, and was planning
to use New Century Schoolbook, but if I typeset in Times Roman I get
a much shorter page count.  I prefer New Century because it is much
easier to read and looks a lot nicer, but the publisher wants to keep
page count down.

I would like to have a broader selection of fonts on my system, but
dislike the idea of paying $50 or more each for them.

Are there any sites where one can download *.pfb or *.pfa files that
can be used with groff?  I know about converting .pfb to .pfa files
and it is my understanding that I have to get rid of the ligatures
other than ff, ffl, fl, ffi, and fi in the dit file.

Any clues about where I can get the fonts?

Thanks,

Clarke