Re: [Groff] soelim and file names defined in string registers

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] soelim and file names defined in string registers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:44:35 +0200 (CEST)

> just an idea: the problem would go away if the `.so' request could
> be told (by a second argument to the request) to rerun all necessary
> preprocessors on the sourced file before inserting it (the
> preprocessors could be those specified in the groff call or
> explicitely specified to the `.so' reguest). would this be a good
> idea (apart from the someone_has_to_implement_it aspect)?

I don't think that this is a good idea.  It is far too complicated to
implement, and I can easily construct examples where a second
expansion isn't enough, this is, you would need a third level of
expansion.

Why do you insist on passing the contents of a string register to
`.so'?  It's rather easy to construct an input file `so-data' on the
fly (using a Makefile, for example) which just contains a single line

  .so <your file>

and this file is then included with

  .so so-data

in the main data file.