[Groff] explicit hyphen and numbers

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] explicit hyphen and numbers
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:39:19 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

Urs showed up an interesting problem in groff: A hyphen between two
numbers does *not* insert a breakpoint!  To be more specific, the
.cflags values 2 and 4 of a character x are only active if the
characters before and after x both have non-zero hyphenation codes (as
set with the `hcode' request).

Since it isn't possible to set the hcode value for numbers, things
like `200-400' are never hyphenated.  To force a break you have to
insert a zero-width breakpoint: `200-\:400'.

I'll document this properly, but I wonder whether this behaviour
should be changed.  For example, I could add a new `.cflags' value to
ignore the surrounding hyphenation codes.  On the other hand, until
now there has never been a complaint...