Re: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 14: unicode fonts

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 14: unicode fonts
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:50:15 -0400

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006, Colin Watson wrote:
> FWIW, I've been (rightly) under pressure for a while to update Debian's
> groff, but have found it very difficult to forward-port the notorious
> Debian Japanese patch; it's been a while since I last tried it, but I
> seem to recall encountering particular trouble in devps. Having caught
> up slightly on the state of groff, I'm seriously considering just
> ditching the whole mess and shipping with preconv instead, and doing the
> couple of hours' work required to teach man to use it. Would this be a
> totally insane thing to do? For that matter, if it comes to it, would
> shipping CVS groff right now be a totally insane thing to do?

People are constantly bitching to me privately about Debian's
aging groff, to the point that I'm inclined to think that anything
that fixes the situation is a good idea.  I don't know how much
longer I'll be able to hold off a large-scale revolt with kindly,
reassuring words about Debian and its groff package maintainer. :-)

OTOH, building groff from sources is a painless and fairly quick
matter, so spiffy new groff .debs aren't that pressing a concern.
Debian's overall policy of caution strikes me as a good one.

--
Peter Schaffter