Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:59:50 +0100

Ted Harding wrote:
> A delightful piece of research! (Is that your photo in Fig. 9,
> Keith?)

No, it isn't.  I don't have my photo anywhere on the web, that I
know of;  maybe we could consider a "rogue's gallery" of project
contributors on the groff.ffii.org site?

The document was first circulated, within Total Lindsey Oil Refinery,
as a public domain Weird(TM) file, in March this year; the original
author isn't identified, and I don't know the gentleman in the photo.

I reformatted it with ms as an exercise to evaluate the effectiveness
of antiword -- it got all the text out nicely, but I had to save the
original as HTML to extract the images, then convert them to EPS using
the NetPBM tools.

It took me about fifteen minutes to convert it, and add the troff
markup; of course, the finished result is *much* tidier than the
original Weird(TM) layout.

> I recommend as a definitive example the instructions contained in
> British Standard 6008 (BS 6008:1980, ISO 3103:1980): "Method for
> Preparation of a liquor  of tea ... ", of which a PDF copy can be
> found at
>
>  http://ftp.ee.surrey.ac.uk/papers/AI/L.Gillam/bs_tea.pdf

That looks like it might also be an interesting read.  I'll take a
look at it later.  Thanks.

Regards,
Keith.