Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.2 with pdfref

From: Rüdiger Härtel
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.2 with pdfref
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:15:53 +0200

Am Tuesday 25 July 2006 16:15 schrieb Keith MARSHALL:
> Rüdiger Härtel wrote:
> > I am using the pdfref macros from Kees Zeelenberg found here
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2001-01/msg00047.html.
> >
> > It works nicely together with the ms macros. I better should
> > say worked. We updated to version 1.19.2 and now it doesn't
> > work anymore.
> >
> > Does anybody else use this macros and possibly has already
> > changed it to make it work again?
>
> IIRC, 1.19.2 installs a `pdfroff' command, and associated macros
> in `pdfmark.tmac', which provide pretty much all that Kees
> Zeelenberg's original package did, and more.  There's also an
> `spdf.tmac', which defines rudimentary bindings for the `ms'
> macros.

Hello Keith,

I know about these macros. But the macros from Kees redefined and
enhanced the .NH and .SH macros so that I didn't need to write an
extra .XS and .XE. That is what stops me from using it.

I also wonder why do I have to do this extra step. Even with plain
ms I need XS and XE to get a TOC. The other way round - have
separate argument to NH/SH to disable printing a header in TOC -
would make more sense to me.

> You might like to try these, as an alternative.

No. We have a few user manual that already make use of Kees macros
and we don't want to switch. I would think about it if the above
mentioned feature is available.
Since I only have limited knowledge of writing groff macros at the
time writing I cannot do it myself :(